• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Green Idea 1 : ' Find your nearest Farmer's Market and go there this weekend with friends...
  • Green Idea 2 : ' Swap your old incandescent bulbs for CFLs when they burn out and start saving $$$
  • Green Idea 3 : ' Try using your bike this weekend instead of your car...
  • Green Idea 4 : ' This Spring why not plant a small kitchen garden of tomatoes and peppers on your balcony or patio?
  • Green Idea 5 : ' What are you waiting for? Make the change today!
  • SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

    The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments.

  • URBAN GARDENING

    You can grow your own food whether you live on a rural farm or in a tiny urban apartment. Urban gardening is all about using space wisely to regain a closer connection with your food and beautify your home or neighborhood.

  • RENEWABLE ENERGY

    Explore energy resources, such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, biomass, geothermal, ocean thermal, and wave power, that replenish themselves within a short period.

  • LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS

    Locating the Farmers' Market nearest to you is now only a few clicks away. Localharvest.org is a useful and straight-forward site designed to faciliate your quest.

Sunday

Duct Tape Uses: Bandage or Bondage?

Posted by vergelimbo On 8:43 PM 9 comments

Since it's invention in 1942 people the world over have used Duct Tape creatively for various unintended uses. I would wager that less than 10% of it comes anywhere near any actual duct work - for which it was first conceived. Instead, it has been used to make handbags, belts, wallets, clothing, furniture etc. Apparently it is also effective in treating some type of warts.

I am informed by my madskills friend alphabitch, that any willing masochist can effectively "shave" their legs with the stuff. [more] Personally, I tend more towards bookbinding, waterproofing, furniture repair and emergency bandages with my roll. After all: What real man keeps bandaids in the house? Well, apparently some cunning marketers glommed onto this macho paradigm and came up with this loophole product for ninnies.
So, if only a fraction of duct tape sees any ductwork, a similarly tiny fraction is correctly referred to as Duct Tape. The majority of people mispronounce this adhesive marvel as: Duck Tape. In fact, a company called Duck Tape markets their adhesive tape as just that, capitalizing on the widespread mispronunciation!



After the 9/11 terrorist attacks, reports on the versatility and virtues of the sticky silver tape reached a crescendo. The newly formed Department of Homeland Security [itself, rumored to be held together by Duct tape] recommended that every household have on hand a quantity of duct tape sufficient to seal all the windows against an Anthrax attack. Duct tape was considered by the top military brass to be a formidable weapon in The War On Terror. When I heard that I felt very "securitizified" with my stash of rolls... How about you?

What do you think duct tape is best used for? Leave a comment

9 comments:

I feel strongly that any injury too serious to be fixed with duct tape or super glue should be treated at the emergency room. Although I do have a coupla boxes of duct tape bandaids in the house (I am a chick, after all).

I'm not sure my duct tape/legwaxing efforts qualify as masochistic, though, as it does not hurt very much at all.

I'm going to stay the hell away from cuisinarts, though. Which isn't all that difficult as I do not own one. I'm not sure I want to know how exactly you did that.

PS -- I'm reminded of the time a friend of mine sliced off her fingerprint with a cuisinart blade. Only the fingerprint. She put it back on and bandaged it tightly and it grew back, but she worried for years that she'd put it back on upside down. I'm not sure we ever established to anyone's satisfaction that she hadn't.

Your photos remind me that my favorite leather chair has a small hole in the arm. I could fix that pretty easily, I guess.

As a librarian, I shudder at the use of duct tape to repair bindings!

Alpha: Of course my use of the term "masochistic" is covered by the aegis of "blogger license"... I love the tale of the possibly inverted fingerprint, and can imagine a whole story based the resultant identity crisis. No doubt I can now attest to the lethality of cuisinart blades-as a matter of fact, I merely dropped the blade on my naked foot.

Julie: Don't worry I only use Duct Tape as an emergency measure in bookbinding, though I did use it to re-enforced my journals binding. Thanks for the concern...

Have you used duct tape in a creative way? Let me know what it was

VL

I'm sort of enjoying a story in my head here involving cuisinart-blade induced fingerprint identity change + duct tape & plastic DIY Homeland Security + many cans of tuna and Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Plus maybe a gazpacho recipe and some interior gardening by the light of a bicycle-generated LED light array and a handheld water filtration system.

I think I'm going somewhere with this. Or maybe I'm just tired.

No duct tape repaired book bindings, though. Although maybe we'll have to bind the procedure manual in duct tape because it's all we have.

Err..

Drop the "Dinty Moore Beef Stew" and you'd have a page out of my biography. You don't have CCTV of Vergelimbo's headquarters, do you?

Duck tape made in China is what keeps this shiny nation afloat in the cruel sea of tyrrany and despair

Duck tape vs. Jihad

I've no creative duct tape stories, but I have used band-aids to repair plant stems so a bloom/subsequent seed capsule can be salvaged. I am absolutely trying that leg "shaving" thing, though! Seriously.

I have a concern regarding duck tape. As an active person who enjoys extreme sports such as skateboarding, injuries often tend to follow. One day i was trying to slide on a rail when suddenly i lost my balance, causing my body to land on top of the rail, my chest to be precise. Well long story short, i had(still have) a bunch of extra Duck Tape-brand duct tape and I've heard about people using duct tape to seal wounds. With that in mind, i grabed a small cloth and covered it with ducktape to serve as a big band aid, and sure enough, the cut on my chest was healed, however, the edges from the duct tape tore-off some of my skin leaving a pretty nasty, noticeable scar on my chest(from the absence of my skin that is now with the duct tape) and its not healing. It looks pretty ridiculous. I would've never used duct tape if i had a proper bandage, and the wound had to be taken care of. Anyhow, i'm writting this blog so others can know better when using duct tape for this purpose and also trying to see if anyone has any suggestions on what i can use to heal my duct tape wound since its pretty embarrasing.