• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Green Idea 1 : ' Find your nearest Farmer's Market and go there this weekend with friends...
  • Green Idea 2 : ' Swap your old incandescent bulbs for CFLs when they burn out and start saving $$$
  • Green Idea 3 : ' Try using your bike this weekend instead of your car...
  • Green Idea 4 : ' This Spring why not plant a small kitchen garden of tomatoes and peppers on your balcony or patio?
  • Green Idea 5 : ' What are you waiting for? Make the change today!
  • SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

    The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments.

  • URBAN GARDENING

    You can grow your own food whether you live on a rural farm or in a tiny urban apartment. Urban gardening is all about using space wisely to regain a closer connection with your food and beautify your home or neighborhood.

  • RENEWABLE ENERGY

    Explore energy resources, such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, biomass, geothermal, ocean thermal, and wave power, that replenish themselves within a short period.

  • LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS

    Locating the Farmers' Market nearest to you is now only a few clicks away. Localharvest.org is a useful and straight-forward site designed to faciliate your quest.

Tuesday

Mapmyride.com: Going The Distance for Cyclists

Posted by vergelimbo On 2:18 PM 8 comments

Mapmyride.com will map any route, calculate distance and elevation changes, and provide you a printable map for safer cycling, running or "artful walking".

Ever wondered if there was a faster way from A to B?
A safer way? Or wondered how far A actually was from B? Cyclists, runners or the "wandering aimless" need not wonder anymore. MapMyRide.com is a FREE Google Maps mash-up that can determine all the above and much more.

A few months back I decided to get back into cycling. My friend Cameron and I formed an ad hoc bike gang, "The pedalphiles", and took to the roads. But where would we go? We started off exploring and searching for the best roads for biking - where best was a balance of safest, smoothest, and most interesting terrain. Hanging out at bike shops, we ogled the coolest gear and talked to the staff for tips on routes. Mock Orange is a top-notch bike shop a stones throw from my house, and I bought my safety gear there. "Is there any type of online map software that can plot out our bike routes?" I asked. Jamie, who works there, told us about Mapmyride.

HOW IT WORKS:
Mapmyride works better than I had expected. The sign-up is fast and free, and the software works smoothly and easily. Once you have signed up, start by clicking "Map New Ride", enter your start address, and click "Follow Roads" in order to trace your route along the roads. Then it is just a matter of plotting your route by clicking your cursor on the roads you wish to follow. Different views are available such as Satellite, Hybrid, Topographical:

Example of Satellite View

The function "Show Elevation" is located at the bottom border of the map and will graph your changing elevation along the trip:

Elevation
FIND A RIDE:
After you have plotted a route, you can create a profile and make your maps public, so that anyone searching for a local route can see the recorded rides for that area. Details of the ride can be added such as "hilly, low traffic, smooth road surfaces", the maps are also rated using a star-ranking system.

Try Mapmyride.com and leave me your comments below

8 comments:

highly excellent! Thanks for the tip.

I do hope to see you on the road, though I'm pretty much going to and from work is all. Once my new basket arrives, though, I'll probably swing by the grocery store or something similarly zany.

Loving the new bike so far; will like it even better when I get everything adjusted just the way I want it. Ruby is highly suspicious of it, and circles it warily the whole time it's parked on the patio.

Hey Alpha...
I thought you'd like Mapmyride...
Have you noticed that more and more people are biking around town lately. It is no longer only the dopedealers and DUI-ers. I think the "elevation" feature is great, and the site also has local biking news, forums, workout planners blah-blah

VL

I like that I can now get lost in 3D. What at first was merely dizzy apathy, has now been transformed into a completely unfounded sense of accuracy as I take a wrong turn...armed with my map in my head. ha ha. I need a printer.....

This is so cool!
I always wanted a way to map my rides and find new rides in the area

I've added vergelimbo to my blogroll

I'm having a lot of trouble opening up this page from my laptop -- I was thinking it might be the photobucket stuff, I dunno. But I'm not having any trouble here at my office on the desktop, so I guess it's just that sorry old laptop I have at home.

But yes, I have noticed more people cycling around lately. And the bike racks at work have a lot more bikes in them than they used to have.

This is a great idea not only for cyclists or runners but just to draw up maps from place to place. Having a party? Map out your party's location from a known spot and print out the maps to include in the invitation, or post them via email your email.

BC

this is a very well written and informative article on the mapmyride tool. I just strted using it for my rides and love it.

thanks for the great tip, verge

steve

Thanks vergelimbo!

This is really great-I'm going to start keeping track of my rides with this. the satellite pic is awesome-how do I do that?