• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Green Idea 1 : ' Find your nearest Farmer's Market and go there this weekend with friends...
  • Green Idea 2 : ' Swap your old incandescent bulbs for CFLs when they burn out and start saving $$$
  • Green Idea 3 : ' Try using your bike this weekend instead of your car...
  • Green Idea 4 : ' This Spring why not plant a small kitchen garden of tomatoes and peppers on your balcony or patio?
  • Green Idea 5 : ' What are you waiting for? Make the change today!
  • SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

    The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments.

  • URBAN GARDENING

    You can grow your own food whether you live on a rural farm or in a tiny urban apartment. Urban gardening is all about using space wisely to regain a closer connection with your food and beautify your home or neighborhood.

  • RENEWABLE ENERGY

    Explore energy resources, such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, biomass, geothermal, ocean thermal, and wave power, that replenish themselves within a short period.

  • LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS

    Locating the Farmers' Market nearest to you is now only a few clicks away. Localharvest.org is a useful and straight-forward site designed to faciliate your quest.

Sunday

Organic Garden Project: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted by vergelimbo On 7:45 PM 11 comments

A slideshow update of The Urban Garden Project is overdue!


In May of 2006 I decided to transform a former urban industrial site into an organic garden. The idea to convert the 1500 square foot side lot of an industrial building into a viable organic garden came to me through my involvement in The Hut Collective. For the past 7 years, my design and woodworking shop has been located in a 1950's Quanset Hut occupied by a small group of artists and craftsmen. [photo] In June I decided to direct my greener ambitions towards recouping and transforming some of the unused lot into a productive organic garden. The owner of the property was very encouraging and offered not only to help me, but gave me the salvaged wood I used to build the fence.


Those curious about the gradual transformation of this formerly abandoned industrial sidelot into a high-yielding organic garden click here.

Upcoming projects include establishing a local network of Urban Gardeners and pooling our skills, experience and vegetables. If we can involve enough homestead gardeners it might become possible to start an micro-CSA, and offer an even wider variety of veggies to members of the community. To some degree this is already underway between my other gardener friends. I was recently given 3 Kiwi vines by my friend John who has been growing Isaac Kiwis her in NC for almost 20 years. We also swap surplus veggies and tastey soup. Next year I hope to make this into a more formal structure with new members.

11 comments:

Looks very tasty! If there are any food parties on the horizon, I hope I might make it on the list.

That garden looks absolutely beautiful. I looks like you grow enough food for a small village. My family has a small bed in the backyard but we have plans to make it bigger.

You clearly have a very green thumb-

keep up the great work!

sherylc

El Guaco

Looks like you have mad-skills with the guac, salsa et als. So, you definitely just made the short-list for my next Urban Garden Project Cookout. Perhaps I'll make it a "Women on the Verge(limbo) of a Nervous Breakdown" themed Gazpacho Fest.
Invite your rivals as well.

I'll keep you posted,
Phil

Your Blogs are great BTW...

WOW-THE GARDEN LOOKS LIKE A VERITABLE CORNUCOPIA!
I'D BE OVER THAT FENCE AND FORAGING IN YOUR GARDEN IN ABOUT 8 SECONDS FLAT.
DO YOU HAVE THAT PROBLEM?

GREG

Health and fitness is always a person's prime concern today's hectic lifestyle and fast-paced society. And to maintain and sustain a good figure, you need to follow strict dietary regimen and exercise routine. Obesity is a global concern and excess weight loss can lead a person to host of diseases. After all health matters most!

Amazing article post on the blog man, I incredibly like the look and the feel of this important blog. You write highly well, you should certainly be a aware guy. Will definitely come back

Very Nice!
http://www.spectrumseed.com/

Hello,

I want to make a little interview about your project. It'll be pubblished on www.growtheplanet.com, a new italian startup about vegetable gardens. The problem is that I can't open the contact form, so if you are interested write me at "a.latu (et) growtheplanet .com"

Thanks :)

As a fellow writer, I just had to tell you that you gave me some good ideas for my own blog. Thanks.

You mentioned kiwis. We just moved to Winston-Salem and would love to grow them here, but not sure which variety would do best. Would appreciate talking to your friend or anyone who has had success. Can you provide contact info or give them my email: treasureofisrael@yahoo.com. Thanks so much!

Hey Steve!

My garden project has been left to go to seed after 5 years of bounty...a friend was supposed to take it over, when i moved to Australia but seems it was too much like work. The wonderful soil grows a dizzying array of weeds at the moment...the variety of kiwi was Isaac Kiwi, and they are a smaller almost hairless variety. You should be able to find the seedlings online, perhaps through the baker seed catalog.

Good luck
Phil