• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Green Idea 1 : ' Find your nearest Farmer's Market and go there this weekend with friends...
  • Green Idea 2 : ' Swap your old incandescent bulbs for CFLs when they burn out and start saving $$$
  • Green Idea 3 : ' Try using your bike this weekend instead of your car...
  • Green Idea 4 : ' This Spring why not plant a small kitchen garden of tomatoes and peppers on your balcony or patio?
  • Green Idea 5 : ' What are you waiting for? Make the change today!
  • SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

    The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments.

  • URBAN GARDENING

    You can grow your own food whether you live on a rural farm or in a tiny urban apartment. Urban gardening is all about using space wisely to regain a closer connection with your food and beautify your home or neighborhood.

  • RENEWABLE ENERGY

    Explore energy resources, such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, biomass, geothermal, ocean thermal, and wave power, that replenish themselves within a short period.

  • LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS

    Locating the Farmers' Market nearest to you is now only a few clicks away. Localharvest.org is a useful and straight-forward site designed to faciliate your quest.

Tuesday

Urban Garden Update: Winter...what to do?

Posted by vergelimbo On 2:06 PM 4 comments



Winter is a time of great suffering- for gardens and gardeners alike. That said, this winter has been one of the most mild on record, and so I have taken advantage of the warm days to effect some needed upkeep and changes to my Urban Garden Project. Amazingly, many of my veggies kept producing til mid November [tomatoes, carrots, onions, Arugula] but a sudden cold blast and icy rain mid December devastated the late season greenery-or so I thought. December 20th there was not a speck of green anywhere other than the Rosemary and onions.

By mid-January, the Carrots, Kale, Arugula, Broccoli, Chard, Leeks, Garlic, Parsley and Mustard Greens had staged a miraculous comeback- this despite the fact that they were all withered, brown and decomposing a month earlier.

COMPOSTING: I continually add organic matter to my compost pile through the winter. By spring the pile will be a steaming mound of organic goodness. Almost everything of organic value from my kitchen makes its way to this pile: Coffee grounds, eggshells, cucumber skins, carrot tops, and my spent wheatgrass trays all migrate from my home to my garden. A few friends also contribute their kitchen waste to my garden.

4 comments:

mmmmm kale.

I always loved going out into the snow-covered winter garden and digging around to find a bunch of bright green goodness.

Shazam!!
A man that builds, gardens, cycles, juices AND is hot!...I can hardly believe you are for real. I love your blog, Verge, whether you exist or not. Your Garden Project is fantastic and very inspiring to me. It is Spring here in Virginia, and I want to get out there and plant something. When do you start to plant your vegetables, and where do you buy them?

Krista

Hey thanks for the great blog, I love this stuff. I don’t usually do much for Earth Day but with everyone going green these days, I thought I’d try to do my part.

I am trying to find easy, simple things I can do to help stop global warming (I don’t plan on buying a hybrid). Has anyone seen that www.EarthLab.com is promoting their Earth Day (month) challenge, with the goal to get 1 million people to take their carbon footprint test in April? I took the test, it was easy and only took me about 2 minutes and I am planning on lowering my score with some of their tips.

I am looking for more easy fun stuff to do. If you know of any other sites worth my time let me know.

Hi! I haven't done composting since I was in grade school! But, it's something I'd like to practice at home. Can you share your method?