• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Green Idea 1 : ' Find your nearest Farmer's Market and go there this weekend with friends...
  • Green Idea 2 : ' Swap your old incandescent bulbs for CFLs when they burn out and start saving $$$
  • Green Idea 3 : ' Try using your bike this weekend instead of your car...
  • Green Idea 4 : ' This Spring why not plant a small kitchen garden of tomatoes and peppers on your balcony or patio?
  • Green Idea 5 : ' What are you waiting for? Make the change today!
  • SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

    The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments.

  • URBAN GARDENING

    You can grow your own food whether you live on a rural farm or in a tiny urban apartment. Urban gardening is all about using space wisely to regain a closer connection with your food and beautify your home or neighborhood.

  • RENEWABLE ENERGY

    Explore energy resources, such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, biomass, geothermal, ocean thermal, and wave power, that replenish themselves within a short period.

  • LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS

    Locating the Farmers' Market nearest to you is now only a few clicks away. Localharvest.org is a useful and straight-forward site designed to faciliate your quest.

Friday

Lost and Found Byron Bay: Bike Lock

Posted by vergelimbo On 1:08 AM 6 comments



Last week I found a bicycle lock while I was cycling into town. It was the cable type with a 5-digit combination, and quite expensive. I live a few kilometers outside the center of Byron Bay, and there is a decent bike path most of the way into town that is well travelled by hundreds of commuting cyclists every day. On this particular day I was racing into town during a brief pause between rain showers to get some groceries. This winter has been the "wettest" on recent record, and as my bike is my primary means of transportation, these rare breaks between showers have to be exploited. It was still drizzling a fine mist as I pedaled my way along the wet bike path towards town.

By no means could it have been considered "a good day for cycling". Nonetheless, there were more cyclists on the road that day than on the sunniest of summer days. Apparently, the cycling community of Byron writ-large was capitalizing on the temporary reprieve from the rain to "get into town". Mid-way along my journey I spied a bike lock on the edge of the path where the concrete meets the green verge of lawn. "Bummer", I thought as I instinctively applied my brakes. The front and rear pads squealed in whining protest as their worn surfaces pinched the wet rims of my wheels. I completed the 180 degree turn and cycled back to pick up the lock. It was a quality lock, and I knew from personal experience that it would be sorely missed...

A few months before, I had lost a very similar cable-lock when it apparently fell out of an open pocket in my rucksack. Realizing it was missing, I quickly retraced my route, cycling around town looking for my lock in the roadside rain gutters and near the posts and poles where I had stopped. I never found it. I kept up my search for the next few days, scanning for high-visibility spots where perhaps some cycling Samaritan might have left it for me to easily find. As a last resort, I visited the "Lost and Found" at the Information Center, but to no avail. A few days later I conceded the loss and bought a new lock. That was back in late May - the beginning of wettest Winter in Australian history.

So, when a few months later, I spotted that cable-lock by the side of the path, I really did sympathize with it's owner. After I picked up the lost lock, I looked around for the most highly visible location where I thought I might place it to increase it's chance of being found by the owner. (See photo above) I reasoned that much in the same manner in which we have all seen car hubcaps intentionally propped up against the sidewalk - usually in a particularly sharp curve of the road, where they tend to spin off. A certain type of person had placed it specifically there: upright and clearly visible, in hopes that it might eventually be collected by it's owner should they drive again along their familiar route. Similarly, I imagined, every cyclist making their way into town would be confronted by the lost lock as they slowed to enter the large roundabout on Bangalow Road. They might mention having seen it to other cyclists if asked. It rested, neatly coiled, atop that pole for three consecutive rainy days. It was picked up by someone the fourth day. It was the first sunny day in weeks. I choose to believe that it is now reunited with it's owner... after all, it would be of no use to anyone without the combination.





6 comments:

Did you try the combination for your own lost lock on it?

Not only does the "first comment prize" go to lumberhorse, but most concisely provocative as well. I regret that I did not think to try MY combination on the lock, but your suggestion reminds me of the magical realism quality one might find in a book by Marquez...I regret not trying my number... Who knows what magical narrative might have unfolded had my number opened the lock! Any ideas?

VL

I saw that lock on the post and thought - clever idea. It was gone the next time I walked past. Nice story.

Mitch

In true paranoid fashion, I ponder; Who wanted cyclists to stop there by the lock, and for what fell purpose?

That's sad. The bike owner might have been so weary right now. Hopefully, he'll be able to move on from this incident. The lesson here is perhaps to invest in a reliable bike lock system.