• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Green Idea 1 : ' Find your nearest Farmer's Market and go there this weekend with friends...
  • Green Idea 2 : ' Swap your old incandescent bulbs for CFLs when they burn out and start saving $$$
  • Green Idea 3 : ' Try using your bike this weekend instead of your car...
  • Green Idea 4 : ' This Spring why not plant a small kitchen garden of tomatoes and peppers on your balcony or patio?
  • Green Idea 5 : ' What are you waiting for? Make the change today!
  • SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

    The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments.

  • URBAN GARDENING

    You can grow your own food whether you live on a rural farm or in a tiny urban apartment. Urban gardening is all about using space wisely to regain a closer connection with your food and beautify your home or neighborhood.

  • RENEWABLE ENERGY

    Explore energy resources, such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, biomass, geothermal, ocean thermal, and wave power, that replenish themselves within a short period.

  • LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS

    Locating the Farmers' Market nearest to you is now only a few clicks away. Localharvest.org is a useful and straight-forward site designed to faciliate your quest.

Saturday

Urban Garden Project: May Update

Posted by vergelimbo On 1:03 AM 4 comments




The thundershowers this May have been unprecedented. I have barely needed to water my garden - which was good, because I had a friend visiting from Tel Aviv, and we took a roadtrip to Savannah. I also had an important design/build project with a serious deadline. As a result of this "other-prioritized" schedule, The Urban Garden Project was left in the moist, loving hands of Mother Nature.

My friends Ed and Hilary helped me plant a row of Blueberries in the new creekside bed, and transplant my fig tree, lavender, and mint in salvaged terracotta tubes from a dismantled furnace. Steve G helped me frame in 5 new raised-beds, and build the trellis for the Isaac Kiwi to ascend.

Did I mention the rain? Seemingly non-stop the past few weeks, my garden has reveled in the daily downpours. My heirloom tomatoes have already started to fruit, and my blackberry bushes - now 4 years old - seem intent on breaking some world records. Everything is growing beyond my expectations with the exception of the Baby Bok Choy which was ravaged by bugs unknown, and has been bolting continuously since they were planted - which is quite annoying and inexplicable.

I have been invited to sell my excess tomatoes, peppers, okra, beans, blackberries, basil and eggplant at a "farmers market" to be held Thursdays at the Krankies Airstream on Reynolda Road. I'm quite looking forward to this as The Urban Garden Project produces more than enough fresh veggies for me and all my friends. It also ties in nicely with my Urban Garden Network and Micro CSA idea. I hope all the regular coffee drinkers enjoy what is on offer at the farmer's market, and decide to go home and plant their own Whole Foods Killer Gardens.

Gardening is finally being seen as something cool to do!

4 comments:

this garden is stunning. I drive by Northwest and often see you (I suppose) watering on my way home from work. It is inspiring work you are doing.

I love the blog as well. how did you come up with the name "vergelimbo"?

Curious Emma

Have you already begun to sell your surplus veggies and fruits? Please let me know if and when you do. My interest has been peaked!

Hey great blog! I would like to touch base with you about your blog. Please contact me directly at chris@greenpress.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Chris

I read about your garden in the Greensboro Record and had to come and see it for myself. The wife and I live near Highpoint and have just started our own suburban garden project. We love the articles and photos of all that grows so well in this climate. Mean to try those tomatillos next year and maybe some heirlume maters as well. Keep up the good work verge

Jimi Gee