• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • Green Idea 1 : ' Find your nearest Farmer's Market and go there this weekend with friends...
  • Green Idea 2 : ' Swap your old incandescent bulbs for CFLs when they burn out and start saving $$$
  • Green Idea 3 : ' Try using your bike this weekend instead of your car...
  • Green Idea 4 : ' This Spring why not plant a small kitchen garden of tomatoes and peppers on your balcony or patio?
  • Green Idea 5 : ' What are you waiting for? Make the change today!
  • SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

    The basic objectives of sustainability are to reduce consumption of non-renewable resources, minimize waste, and create healthy, productive environments.

  • URBAN GARDENING

    You can grow your own food whether you live on a rural farm or in a tiny urban apartment. Urban gardening is all about using space wisely to regain a closer connection with your food and beautify your home or neighborhood.

  • RENEWABLE ENERGY

    Explore energy resources, such as wind, solar, hydroelectric, biomass, geothermal, ocean thermal, and wave power, that replenish themselves within a short period.

  • LOCAL FARMERS MARKETS

    Locating the Farmers' Market nearest to you is now only a few clicks away. Localharvest.org is a useful and straight-forward site designed to faciliate your quest.

Sunday

Stepping Out: The Walkscore and Your Neighborhood

Posted by vergelimbo On 3:04 PM 11 comments



While I was biking around DC last week, Treehugger posted an article on a new Google Maps Mash-up that can calculate the "walking friendly" score of your neighborhood. It is really very simple to use: Simply input your address and zip code and push "go". The results appear within seconds. Depending on the proximity of various amenities [such as shops, schools, parks, libraries] to your home, you will receive a score between 0 and 100. Pictured above are the results for my neighborhood.

Follow this link to rate your neighborhood, and leave me a comment about the results below

11 comments:

I only got a 65! What's that all about?

Hmmmn...
I think they weigh the proximity of schools, libraries, parks as heavily as shops, grocery stores, and coffee shops.
Did the new corner store make the list?
I'm wondering how up to date the mash-up is.

This is so bogus. The library is 10 feet from me. A very good restaurant, coffee shop, ice cream store, winery and brewery is 20 feet. The Groceries are 500 feet up a gentile incline. One does have to bend over more than in a conventional store I must admit. Dolby Digital movie theater five feet behind me. they gave me a 0 Zero rating!!!

Well, devoid of cultural, intellectual, or alcoholic currency....my location has noted me a muscular 68 as opposed to your flacid 63. In all fairness, all of the highly sought after rehab locations are within walking distance of me.

My dismal score didn't surprise me at all. It explains why all I ever do is go to work and walk the dog any more. I did have to laugh, though, when I punched in my old address and it listed Swaim's Grocery as the nearest grocery store. For those of you who've never been there, Swaim's Grocery is a lovely little neighborhood pub over near Washington Park. The only food you can get there is peanuts (free!) and there are a couple of pizza places that'll deliver (not free).

Hi VL,
"Walkscore" is a great tool - seems like it's important to use as a starting point though. Great excuse to get out and explore the area you live in on foot!
Also, I wanted to let you know that Jeremy and I would be happy to join your blogroll for urban greenies...
Thanks for the info!
Katy
52greenweeks.blogspot.com

too bad it doesn't work for Canada. must be some sort of American fear mongering...

Julian!

It does work for Canada as well:
Just enter street address, city, province and go.

Hey Verge!

Tried this out on my new digs here in California. I'm a 65. But the thing is it lists a Mini Mart and a 7/11 as my closest grocery stores.

I agree argue that walk score is convinient, but nowadays more and more people drive cars and they are interested also in drive score - by using it buyers can see how close difeerent establishments are by car. Drive Score is a servise that shows a map of what establishments are in a property’s neighborhood and calculates a Drive Score based on the number of places within a convenient driving distance. Homes are often located in an area where restaurants, libraries, grocery stores, hospitals and other businesses are easier to get to by car than on foot. his unique service is situated on www.fizber.com

Thanks for the article. That's really cool.
And thanks to Chris for one more link. I've spent about an hour entering different home addresses and estimating their walkscore and Drivescore.
BTW one may find one more score there - a
Bikescore